Friday 28 July 2017

Rustyman to Ironman and the lakeland 50...





RustyMan to IronMan


It’s been staring at me, following me everywhere I go......Facebook, Instagram, emails....there seems to be no escape......its mocking me, it knows that no matter how much I fight it, it will win.....it always does.....


...the pain, the suffering, the hours spent training, the cost, the oh so expensive cost....registration fees, accommodation, equipment all battering the credit card. It's NOT happening, not this time.


Then somewhere in the back of my brain a small slither of light, memories from other bouts of stupidity.....the sense of achievement, the feeling when you cross that finish line, the crowds cheering...not only for the winners but for me, the very average plodder who will still be going when the winner has showered, changed and is onto his/her third pint (protein shake), and keep going I will. The money raised for some amazing charities which have helped my family and me and also good friends in some very dark times. I am so very proud to support them. 


That is why I know that despite everything it will win......


So what is it that is haunting me so? It is this.....









 The Ironman registration.....ten days until registration opens, then an email informing me its only seven.....you can pay in installments.....it knows my reasons not to do it and it plays its ace card to beat me to submission.


It shouldn't be such a dilemma, i've completed the Ironman 70.3 in Stafford in 2016....1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike and a 13.1 mile run. It was tough, but an amazing achievement and event.....could I have done it twice? I doubt it, especially the swim. But you train for what is to come and prepare for the event whether it be a 10k or 100 mile ultra.....


I competed the Ironman 70.3 in 7 hours 32 minutes.....not a great time, but not awful either. Well it can't have been, I got a medal at the end.....but I know deep down my training was pretty poor for this, and will need to be much better planned for the full Ironman.









 


Sadly, this is only part of the plan for 2018 as the 'Midlife Crisis' ramps up....the aim to complete 20 challenges, many of which are part of my 'before I die’ (or my body gives up on me) whichever comes first bucket list before I hit the big 40 in December 2018..so next year is going to be the year of madness part deux.....but more of that in a later blog…


So why the Ironman? It’s expensive, it’s busy, and it’s a commercial pantomime …..BUT it’s the Ironman…it’s the pinnacle of endurance and going beyond limits without heading to the wilds of the Sahara or the arctic. It’s the dedication to train not just for one event to a top level, but three tough disciplines.


 I’ve been to watch a couple of friends compete at the Bolton event and the whole atmosphere was amazing, the grit and determination from the athletes competing, especially those ‘plodders’ like me in the middle and tail end of the pack putting months and months of training, sacrifice and dedication to come down to this one day….legs screaming to stop but the mind telling them to push on, only a few more miles and you will be an Ironman, the dream will be reality…… the time taken might matter but that medal, that lifetime of knowing you did it is priceless…….


My biggest issue is swimming. I can swim, I am quite a strong swimmer, but I am all breaststroke and pretty slow. I’ve have had lessons, but every time I try to get from one end of the pool to the other using front crawl I slowly start to drown two thirds of the way across…..I can cycle, not super-fast but with a bit more training certainly fast enough for the Ironman and then running. I have done a couple of marathons hitting the 4.30 and 4.55 times, but then add it all together and it’s a different story altogether. On the 70.3 my legs were shot, cramping as soon as I started to ‘run’. The swim and bike took everything and it was only sheer bloody mindedness and the crowd which got me round….so I have an idea what is required to complete the full, but then I need to times that by ten.


So we shall wait and see, will I or won’t I have dived straight in and registered for the Ironman, but I think we all know what the answer will be…..


 

Lakeland 50





Onto more pressing events, this weekend (28th – 30th July) is the Lakeland 50 and 100 event.



The Lakeland 50 involves running (walking) 50 miles from Dalemain near Penrith to Coniston in under 24 hours. It is a beautiful route and is a privilege to be able to spend so long walking in the lakes, but sadly no pub stops on route! The camaraderie along the course from the other 50th competitors and the 100 people running the 50 route as the second section of their challenge is amazing…..people who have been running over two nights with 85 miles in the legs supporting those of us hitting our first night with 35 miles in our legs is pretty special, add the checkpoint crews who cannot do enough to support and encourage us all along with the spectators makes for a truly tough but special race.


This will be the 5th time I have competed in this event in 6 years…..saying never again in 2013 after a horrific night of walking with some shocking weather, but after a year spectating I was back in 2015…..I first did this challenge as part of the year of madness in 2012, when I took on 12 challenges in 12 months joined with my very good friend John Wilkinson. I was also joined in various challenges by some good but slightly crazy friends helping raise lots of money for some amazing charities…


So onto 2017, I have completed this event in


2012 – 18 h 50


2013 – 17 h 31


2015 – 21 h 37


2017 – 21 h 31


This year my aim is to complete in under 16 hours, a big ask but certainly achievable if my legs behave.  The weather report changes with each passing hour but as I type looks dry for Saturday and Sunday morning….


So last thing is to wish all the best to all those taking part in the Lakeland 50 and 100 and those supporting at the checkpoints, see you at some point this weekend! But special best wished to Tim Ingram taking part in the 50 and Jess Williams taking part in her second 100 after some serious mental strength and dedication to reach the finish last year!


 





No comments:

Post a Comment